Collection, Use and Disclosure Of Personal Information
Objective & Scope of Policy
Emard Bros. Lumber is committed to respecting your privacy and has prepared this document to inform you of our policy and practices concerning the collection, use and disclosure of Personal Information.
Definition of Personal Information
Personal information is information about an identifiable individual. Personal information includes information that relates to their personal characteristics (gender, age, income, home address, etc), their health, activities and views. Personal information is not to be confused with business information (an individual’s business address, telephone number, e-mail address etc.).
Emard Bros. Lumber has grown from its origins 85 years ago as a small lumber mill and window manufacturer to its present-day business as a modern hardware store offering a wide variety of lumber and building supplies.
Collection of Personal Information
In the course of providing services to our clients, we collect personal information on occasion. Our primary purposes of collecting personal information is typically related to the following:
- company address information for contact and billing purposes
- personal credit card information for billing purposes
- contact information from individuals requesting information about our products and services
Personal information is collected directly from the individual concerned. Unless permitted by law, no personal information is collected about an individual without first obtaining the consent of the individual to the collection, use and dissemination of that information.
Emard Bros. Lumber does not knowingly collect Personal Information from anyone under the age of 18, especially children under 13, and does not use such information if Emard Bros. Lumber discovers that it is has been provided by a minor.
Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
Emard Bros. Lumber’s use of personal information is limited to the purpose of effectively providing professional services to our clients. Emard Bros. Lumber will only disclose personal information if necessary in the performance of these services, or at the express direction of the client.
Emard Bros. Lumber may disclose personal information of clients to organizations that perform services on its behalf. This will only be done if such organizations agree to use such information solely for the purposes of providing services to Emard Bros. Lumber and, with respect to that information, to act in a manner consistent with this Policy.
Emard Bros. Lumber does not sell, trade, barter or exchange for consideration any personal information it has obtained.
Please note that there are circumstances where the use and/or disclosure of personal information may be justified or permitted or where Emard Bros. Lumber is obliged to disclose information without consent. Such circumstances may include:
- Where required by law or by order or requirement of a court, administrative agency or other governmental tribunal;
- Where Emard Bros. Lumber believes, upon reasonable grounds, that it is necessary to protect the rights, privacy, safety or property of an identifiable person or group;
- Where it is necessary to establish or collect monies owning to Emard Bros. Lumber;
- Where it is necessary to permit Emard Bros. Lumber to pursue available remedies or limit any damages that Emard Bros. Lumber may sustain; or
- Where the information is public.
Where obliged or permitted to disclose information without consent, Emard Bros. Lumber will not disclose more information than is required.
Personal information may also be transferred to another company in the event of a change of ownership of all or part of Emard Bros. Lumber.
Accuracy of Personal Information
Emard Bros. Lumber endeavours to ensure that any personal information provided by clients and in its possession is as accurate, current and complete as necessary for the purposes for which Emard Bros. Lumber uses that data. Information contained in files that have been closed is not actively updated or maintained.
Retention of Personal Information
Emard Bros. Lumber retains personal information as long as we believe it is necessary to fulfil the purpose for which it was collected. In some circumstances, legal, financial or business requirements will dictate the retention period.
Wherever appropriate, Emard Bros. Lumber will destroy any personal information not actively being used or required for retention.
Safeguarding Personal Information
Emard Bros. Lumber endeavours to maintain adequate physical, procedural and technical security with respect to its offices and information storage facilities so as to prevent any loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, or modification of personal information.
Access to Personal Information
Emard Bros. Lumber permits access to and review of personal information held by Emard Bros. Lumber about an individual by the individual concerned.
If an individual believes any personal information concerning that individual is not correct, that person may request an amendment of that information by sending a request to our Privacy Officer.
Emard Bros. Lumber reserves the right to decline access to Personal Information where the information requested:
- Would disclose the Personal Information of another individual or of a deceased individual;
- Would disclose business confidential information that may harm Emard Bros. Lumber or the competitive position of a third party;
- Is subject to solicitor-client or litigation privilege;
- Could reasonably result in: (i) serious harm to the treatment or recovery of the individual concerned; (ii) serious emotional harm to the individual or another individual; or (iii) serious bodily harm to another individual;
- May harm, or interfere with, law enforcement activities and other investigative or regulatory functions of a body authorized by statute to perform such functions;
- Is not readily retrievable and the burden or cost of providing would be disproportionate to the nature or value of the information; or
- Does not exist, is not held, or cannot be found by Emard Bros. Lumber.
Where information will not or cannot be disclosed, the individual making the request will be provided with the reasons for non-disclosure.
Where information will be disclosed, Emard Bros. Lumber will endeavor to provide the information within a reasonable time and no later than 30 days following the request.
To guard against fraudulent requests for access, Emard Bros. Lumber will require sufficient information to allow it to confirm the identity of the person making the request before granting access or making corrections.
Amendment of Practices and This Policy
This statement is in effect as of May 1, 2007. Emard Bros. Lumber will from time to time review and revise its privacy practices and this Policy. In the event of any amendment, a notice will be communicated to Clients and others in an appropriate manner.
Emard Bros. Lumber’s Privacy Officer
Emard Bros. Lumber
840 Tenth Street East
Cornwall, Ontario K6H 5T1
Tel: 613 932-5660
Fax: 613 932-5441